The first step towards better health is to do something positive today! The task of losing weight or beginning a big exercise program can seem daunting…so much so that it is a big reason many of us never get started in the first place.
One way that I have tackled my road to better health has been to implement one small change and stick to it for a week or so until it becomes part of my routine. (kinda like brushing your teeth or washing your face.)
That small change might be to not eat certain bad foods for the day or maybe to take the flight of stairs instead of the elevator at work, etc. It doesn’t have to be a huge change…unless, of course, you are ready to embark on a big change. In that case, go for it!
Here are a few suggestions to start taking a step in the direction towards a new you:
- Get up off of the couch and move around a bit more.
- Just for today, don’t eat any desserts. Opt for some fresh fruit, instead.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator, when possible.
- Take a short walk instead of sitting down to read a book or watch TV.
- Take time to reflect on the positive things in your life.
- Begin a gratitude journal. List one thing, each day, that you are thankful for. (it could be something as simple as the sunshine.)
- Smile at strangers when you pass them. (It might just make their day!)
- Take time to tell those close to you that you love them. (there’s no time like the present and the opportunity might not come around again!)
- Begin a short, ten-minute exercise program…especially if a longer one seems almost impossible. Just get started!
Not all of the suggestions are physical steps towards better health. The positive, mental steps are important, too. With a good outlook, all things seem possible. I believe that a positive attitude is a contributor to our over-all health. After all:
“Whether you think you can or cannot…you are right!”